Here are a few FUN ideas for activities to assist your school group in their quest for more knowledge on the world's largest sand island.
- Learn about our inter-tidal zones and investigate the species of crabs, worms, molluscs and crustaceans that call this zone home. You'll also discover their amazing adaptations to their harsh environment - where their very survival is threatened alternately by parching and flooding, oxygen and salt.
- Discover beaches, wetlands and everything in between.
- Play environmentally-themed games and learn traditional indigenous (Butchulla) folklore.
- Canoe to our nearest mangrove colony (it's a gentle paddle approximately 1km north of the resort on the calm waters of the Great Sandy Strait) and discover the rare birds, insects and animals that take refuge in this very sensitive environment.
- Make a food web of the mangrove ecology.
- Emulate the Butchulla Clan for the day, and work out how to survive - hunting and gathering, shelter, defense, health and recreation.
- You can even have a silent listening party (from the canoes or on the beach).
- Learn about leaf, plant, tree, ecosystem and animal-print track identification.
- Attempt a sand sculpture, or some bush art and craft.
- Hear about the logging of the island, the story of Eliza Fraser and the Humpback Whale migration that occurs just a short cruise from the resort.
- Indulge your senses - we've created a night-time activity where your group will experience and identify flavours whilst blindfolded.
- Learn about the lives of our nocturnal creatures and go spotlighting for bats, sugar gliders and frogs with one of our team.
- Learn about our recycling programs including our sewerage treatment (poo farm), herb and worm farm.
- Try your skills in our fishing clinics and learn about green zones and legal limits.
- Leadership and Team Building activities can be tailored to suit your purposes and we're happy to conduct back-of-house hospitality tours and talks.
Don't see what you're after? Please call us, we have a wide range of educational programs or can tailor one to suit your needs.
CONTACT: Danae Schmid
PHONE: +61 7 3032 2816